Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cupcakes to heal the soul

Sometimes a girl just needs a baked good. I think pastries and cakes are my one big vice...I don't consider coffee a vice though, its a necessity. So hungover from a night of tomfoolery in Williamsburg (50 cent PBRs are going to be the death of me!) it became apparent that the only thing to pull me out of my despair would be the sugary-sweet goodness of a vanilla cupcake. The bf, who used to make fun of me for my love of desserts of all forms, has become a firm supporter of my sweet tooth and is quick to encourage it.

Simplicity is sometimes best. These cupcakes remind me of a lighter and fluffier version of my mom's Christmas cookies. I honestly can't remember the recipe I started with to make these, but my usual baked-goods cookbook of choice is my moms 1975 Betty Crocker cookbook so I can assume they came from there. This recipe makes 12.

The Perfect Vanilla Cupcake
1 1/2 cup flour (I am southern and therefore swear by White Lilly Flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon + a pinch salt
6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
5/8 cup milk (1/2 cup + a little extra, sorry for the weird fraction)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium mixing bowl sift flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. In large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating the mixture until combined. Add in vanilla and beat till mixed through. Alternately, add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time (eyeball it) and beat till incorporated, followed by the milk. Once thoroughly mixed, divide batter into 12 cupcake tins lined with cupcake liners. Bake about 25 minutes until the cupcake springs back up after gently pressed.
Allow to cool and frost with favorite icing. I used a simple buttercream icing. MMM!

No comments: